MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
UNIVERSITI SELANGOR, MALAYSIA
UNITED INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY, BANGLADESH
ESTABLISH MUTUALLY COOPERATIVE EFFORTS
UNDER THE CROSS BORDER HIGHER EDUCATION REGULATION
OF THE GOVERNMENT OF BANGLADESH
ON 16TH JANUARY, 2017
UNIVERSITI SELANGOR (hereinafter referred to as “UNISEL”), an institution of private higher learning establishment under the Private Higher Education Institutions Act, 1996 which is wholly owned by Selangor State Government and managed through PENDIDIKAN INDUSTRI YS SDN BHD (Company No. [483121-H]) and whose address is at JALAN ZIRKON A7/A, SECTION 7, 4000 SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR DARUL EHSAN, MALAYSIA and shall include its lawful representatives and permitted assigns of the one part; and
UNITED INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY (hereinafter referred to as UIU), a reputed private university in Bangladesh whose address is at House 80, Road 8/A (Old-15), Satmasjid Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1209, Bangladesh and shall include its lawful representatives and permitted assigns of the other part (hereinafter referred to singularly as “the Party” and collectively as “the Parties”),
A. UNISEL, an established private higher education institution, strives to enhance and strengthen its research and development and has taken various initiatives to complement its educational excellence and has entered into collaborative arrangements in relation to promote higher education, students and faculty exchange program, and joint research initiatives.
B. The Parties are desirous of entering into this Memorandum of Understanding to declare their respective intentions and to establish a basis for co-operation and collaboration between the Parties upon the terms as contained herein.
HAVE REACHED AN UNDERSTANDING as follows:
The Parties, subject to the terms of this Memorandum of Understanding and the laws, rules, regulations and national policies from time to time in force in each Party’s country, will develop and complete co-operative agreements between the Parties to enhance and strengthen their research and development and have taken various initiatives to complement their educational excellence and have entered into collaborative arrangements.
AREAS OF CO-OPERATION
- Each Party will, subject to the laws, rules, regulations from time to time in force, governing the subject matter in their respective countries, endeavor to take necessary steps to encourage and promote co-operation in the following areas:
a) Cooperate on exchange of students and faculties between the institutions
b) Promote cross-border higher education in Bangladesh by adopting student exchange programmes in a reciprocal fashion
c) Facilitate enhanced pedagogy by opening PhD opportunities in UNISEL for faculty members of UIU
d) Promote joint research initiatives among the faculty members of both institutions.
- For the purpose of implementing the co-operation in respect of any area stated in paragraph 1, the Parties will enter into a legally binding agreement subject to terms and conditions as mutually agreed upon by the Parties including clauses on “confidentiality”, “suspension”, protection of intellectual property rights” and “settlements of dispute” as contained in Annexure A1 of this Memorandum of Understanding.
- This Memorandum of Understanding will not give rise to any financial obligation by one Party to other.
- Each Party will bear its own cost and expenses in relation to this Memorandum of Understanding.
EFFECT OF MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
This Memorandum of Understanding serves only as a record of the Parties’ intentions and does not constitute or create, and is not intended to constitute or create obligations under domestic or international law and will not give rise to any legal process and will not be deemed to constitute or create any legally binding or enforceable obligations, express or implied.
Nothing contained herein is to be construed so as to constitute a joint venture partnership or formal business organization of any kind between the Parties or so to constitute either Party as the agent of the other.
ENTRY INTO EFFECT AND DURATION
- This Memorandum of Understanding will come into effect on the date of signing and will remain in effect for a period of 5 years.
- This Memorandum of Understanding may be extended for a further period as may be agreed in writing by the Parties.
Any communication under this Memorandum of Understanding will be in writing in the English language and delivered by registered mail to the address or sent to the electronic mail address or facsimile number of UNISEL or the UIU, as the case may be, shown below or to such other address or electronic mail address of facsimile as either Party may have notified the sender and shall, unless otherwise provided herein, be deemed to be duly given or made when delivered to the recipient at such address or electronic mail address or facsimile number which is duly acknowledged.
To UNIVERSITI SELANGOR (UNISEL)
JALAN ZIRKON A 7/A SECTION 7
4000 SHAH ALAM
Tel: 03-5522 3400
Fax: 03-5510 1468
To UNITED INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY (UIU)
House 80, Road 8/A (Old-15), Satmasjid Road, Dhanmondi,
Attn: Professor Dr. M. Rezwan Khan
Tel: 880 2 9125913-6
The forgoing record represents the understanding reached between UNIVERSITI SELANGOR or the UNITED INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY upon the matters referred to therein.
Signed in duplicate at ……………. on this …………… day of ……………. in the year ………in ………. (…..) Original texts, ……………..(…….) each in the English and ………. languages, all texts being equally authentic. In the event of ant divergence of interpretation between any of the texts, the English text shall prevail.
Signed by Signed by
for and on behalf of the for and on behalf of the
UNIVERSITI SELANGOR United International University
PROF. DATO’ DR. MOHAMMAD Name: Professor Dr. M. Rezwan
REDZUAN BIN OTHMAN Khan
President & Vice Chancellor Position: Vice Chancellor, UIU
Universiti Selangor, Malaysia
In the presence of: In the presence of:
Name: Prof. Dr. Mohd. Nor Bin Name: Prof. Dr. Muhammad Musa
Position: Deputy Vice Chancellor Position: Dean, School of Business
(Administration, Planning & Global Network) & Economics
PROTECTION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- The protection of intellectual property rights shall be enforced in conformity with the respective national laws, rules and regulations of the Parties and with other international agreements signed by both Parties.
- The use of the name, logo and /or official emblem of any of the Parties on any publication, document and/or paper is prohibited without the prior written approval of either Party.
- Notwithstanding anything in paragraph 1 above, the intellectual property rights in respect of any technological development, products and services development, carried out-
i) jointly by the Parties or research results obtained through the joint activity effort of the Parties, shall be jointly owned by the Parties in accordance with the terms to be mutually agreed upon; and
ii) solely and separately by the Party or the research results obtained through the sole and separate effort of the Party, shall be solely owned by the Party concerned.
- Each party shall undertake to observe the confidentiality and secrecy of documents, information and other data received from or supplied to, the other Party during the period of the implementation of this Memorandum of Understanding or any other agreements made pursuant to this Memorandum of Understanding.
- For purposes of paragraph 1, such documents, information and data include any document, information and data which is disclosed by a Party (the Disclosing party) to the other Party (the Receiving party), prior to, or after, the execution of this Memorandum of Understanding, involving technical, business, marketing, policy, know-how, planning, project management and other documents, information, data and/or solutions in any form, including but not limited to any document, information or data which is designated in writing to be confidential or by its nature intended to be for the knowledge of the Receiving party or if orally given, is given in the circumstances of confidence.
- Both Parties agree that the provisions of this Article shall continue to be binding between the Parties notwithstanding the termination of this Memorandum of Understanding.
Each Party reserves the right for reasons of national security, national interest, public order or public health to suspend temporarily, either in whole or in part, the implementation of this Memorandum of Understanding which suspension shall take effect immediately after notification has been given to the other Party through diplomatic channels.
SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTES
Any difference or dispute between the Parties concerning the interpretation and/or implementation and/or application of any of the provisions of this Memorandum of Understanding shall be settled amicably through mutual consultation and/or negotiations between the Parties through diplomatic channels, without reference to any third party or international tribunal.