KEY RULES FOR THE STUDENTS
- Course Registration for Spring 2020:
- A student shall have to register a minimum of 7.5 (seven & half)/9 (nine) credits for undergraduate programs and 6 (six) credits for graduate programs in a single Trimester.
- The last date of Course Advising & Registration without fine is January 15, 2020.
- The last date of Course Advising & Registration with a late fine of Tk 1,000/- is February 02, 2020.
- A student would be required to pay an amount of Tk 15,000/- as a partial payment of tuition fees before registration. The remaining amount of payable tuition fees shall have to be paid within the deadline of payment of total tuition fees mentioned below.
- Tuition Fee Payment Schedule for Spring 2020 Trimester:
- Payment at a Time: 100% of Tuition Fee + Trimester Fee
- Last date of payment: February 16, 2020.
- Late Fee: Taka 1,000/- after February 16, 2020 & within March 15, 2020.
A further amount of Tk 1,000/- if paid after March 15, 2020 & within April 12, 2020.
A further amount of Tk 1,000/- if paid after April 12, 2020.
N.B. If a student encounters sudden mishap/accident and requires financial assistance for making payment of university dues, he/she may apply to the Director of Student Affairs for loan on condition that he/she has earned a minimum CGPA of 3.0 and he/she will repay the loan within the particular trimester he/she has been sanctioned loan.
- Minimum Attendance in the Class: Students are expected to attend classes regularly. A student would be required to attend at least 80% of classes in every course in order to sit for the Final Exam.
- Dropping of Course(s): Last date to drop course(s) with an adjustable full refund of money is January 15, 2020. No course can be dropped after the respective dates mentioned above.
- Withdrawal of Course(s): Students, willing to “Withdraw” any course due to sickness or other unavoidable circumstances, must collect a form for “W” grade from the Registrar’s Office. Students have to collect signature(s) for endorsement of the respective course teacher(s) and submit it to the concerned Head of the Department for final approval. The duly approved application must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by March 18, 2020. The registration of the withdrawn course(s) has to be made afresh upon making payment of tuition fee of the respective course(s).
- Repeat & Retake of Course(s): Absence in Final Examination without permission from proper authorities of the University shall result in “F” grade in the course. A student obtaining “F” grade in any course in any Trimester will have to “Repeat” the course with full payment of tuition fee for that particular course. Students desiring to improve their grade(s) may again take up course(s) which are termed as “Retake”. Such students will also have to make payment of 100% tuition fee for retaking a course. Students would not be entitled to scholarship/tuition fee waiver for ‘repeat/retake’ courses.
- Trimester Drop: A student may drop a Trimester only on medical ground or other valid reasons. Students have to apply in writing to the Registrar through respective Head of the Department for dropping the Trimester. If the case is found genuine by the authorities, the student may be allowed to drop the current Trimester after making payment of 50% of Tuition Fee, Trimester Fee and Transport Fee (if applicable). However, if an additional amount is deposited against payment of tuition fees, the amount would no way be refunded; it will only be adjusted with the tuition fees to be payable in the next Trimester.
- “I” (Incomplete) Grade: “I” (Incomplete) grade is granted only in exceptional cases. “I” (Incomplete) grade may be assigned to students in special circumstances after the Mid-Term Exam. Students will collect a form for “I” (Incomplete) grade from the Office of Controller of Examinations.
After filling up the forms, students will collect signature(s) for endorsement of the respective course teacher(s) and then they will submit the forms to the respective Head of the Department for final approval. Approved forms have to be submitted to the Office of Controller of Examinations.
A student must appear in the Exam in which he/she is given “I” grade within 15 (fifteen) days of the following Trimester, otherwise “I” will turn into “F” automatically. In case of absence of concerned course teacher from whom a student receives an “I” grade, the disposition of the case involving “I” (Incomplete) grade(s) resides with the concerned Head of the Department. Students applying for ‘I’ (Incomplete) Grade in a particular Trimester would not be eligible for any Scholarship Scheme of UIU for the corresponding Trimester.
- Change of Grade: Students shall have the opportunity to appeal for reviewing his/her grade of a course(s) assigned in a particular trimester. In that case, students would be required to apply to the concerned Head/Director/Coordinator of the Dept./Program within 1 (one) week of the beginning of the classes of the following Trimester.
- Project/Thesis/Internship/Field Work: Graduate students willing to take Thesis will not be able to register more than 12 credits out of a total of 18 credits in a single trimester. The completion period of all undergraduate Project/Thesis/Internship works irrespective of credit hours shall be 2 (two) trimesters following the trimester on which last registration of the same has been made. The completion period of Thesis/Research Paper or Project/Internship/Field Work in case of Graduate Programs having 3 Credit Hours will be the same as above. The completion period of all such works having more than 3 Credit Hours will, however, be 3 (three) trimesters following the trimester on which the last registration is made.
- Self-Study System: A student can take course(s) under Self-Study System if only 20 credits out of the total credits remain to be completed. However, a student will not be allowed to take a course under self-study system if that course is offered by the department in that particular trimester. The maximum number of students shall not exceed 6 (six) in a particular course under Self-Study System. The courses taken under Self-Study System should be completed within the trimester in which the registration of courses has been made. If the courses are not completed within the scheduled trimester, concerned students will be given “F” grade for the respective Self-Study courses.
- Minimum & Maximum Period of Time for Completion of Degree: The minimum period of time for completion of any undergraduate degree will be 3 (three) years. This period will, however, be 2 (two) years for Credit Transferred Students. The minimum period of time for completion of any graduate degree will be 1 (one) year. The maximum allowable time for completion of any undergraduate degree will be 6 (six) years and for any graduate degree 4 (four) years.
- Academic Probation:
- For the students of both undergraduate & graduate programs, the minimum CGPA requirement for acceptable academic standing will be 2.0. If a student’s CGPA falls below 2.0 at any time, he/she will be placed on academic probation.
- Undergraduate students, who have completed less than 60 credits, will be given maximum 3 ‘Probation Notices’ in consecutive trimesters (once in a trimester) to come out of the state of probation. If such students fail to raise their CGPA to the level of 2.00 within the given time period, they will be dismissed from the respective Program. The students, whose completion of credits are 60 and above, may be given more than 3 ‘Probation Notices’ (once in a trimester) which would require placing in a meeting of Academic & Admin Committee along with justification(s) for its approval.
- In case of graduate programs, maximum 3 ‘Probation Notices’ in consecutive trimesters (once in a trimester) will be given to the students to come out of the state of probation whose completion of credits are below 15 credits. In case of failure to raise the CGPA to the level of 2.0 within the stipulated time period, concerned students will be dismissed from the respective Program. If concerned students complete minimum 15 credits, they may be given more than 3 ‘Probation Notices’ (once in a trimester) which would also require placing in a meeting of Academic & Admin Committee along with justification(s) for approval.
- ‘Students on probation’ of undergraduate programs may be allowed to register minimum 2 courses (6 credits) in a trimester.
- Punishment for adopting Unfair Means: Following types of punishment will be meted out for adopting unfair means in the examination:
- Adopting Unfair Means for the 1st time:
- Class Test: Course Expulsion
- Mid-Term (1/2) & Final Exam: Trimester Expulsion
- Adopting Unfair Means for the 2nd time:
- Any type of Test/Exam: Trimester Expulsion
- Adopting Unfair Means for the 3rd time:
- Any type of Test/Exam: Expulsion from the University
Besides, use of cellphones inside Exam Halls is strictly prohibited. Hence, students are not allowed to bring cellphones inside Exam Halls.
- Scholarship/Tuition Fee Waiver Policy: Students can avail financial benefits in the form of Scholarship/Tuition Fee Waiver which are detailed below:
- Scholarship Policy based on the Trimester Results*
|Top 4% of the total students
of a particular program
(In order of merit)
|100% Scholarship for the corresponding Trimester|
(In order of merit)
|50% Scholarship for the corresponding Trimester|
(In order of merit)
|25% Scholarship for the corresponding Trimester|
- Tuition Fee Waiver Policy based on the results of immediate past Public Exam**
|GPA 5 without additional subject in the HSC Exam||50%|
|GPA 5 with additional subject in the HSC Exam||25%|
|2 first classes/GPA 3.50 on a scale of 4.0 or 4.37 on a scale of 5.00 in the previous public exams (from HSC level and above)||25%|
Besides, students completing undergraduate programs at UIU will be entitled to 25% Tuition Fee Waiver for getting admission to any graduate program of UIU.
* A minimum GPA of 3.5 would be required in a particular trimester for being eligible to avail the scholarship based on trimester results.
** Respective students would be required to maintain a minimum CGPA of 3.5 for continuation of the
Tuition Fee Waiver.
Apart from the above, full (100%)/partial (75%) Tuition Fee Waiver is available for the Talented Programmers intending to get admission to B.Sc. in CSE Program. For details, students are advised to contact the CSE Dept. Office.
- Freedom Fighters’ Children Quota
100% Tuition Fee Waiver is sanctioned to 3% of total admitted students in a particular trimester. Respective students would be required to submit applications along with relevant documents (list of which is to be collected from the Registrar’s Office beforehand) to the Registrar’s Office within 2 weeks of beginning of classes. Detailed information is available in the relevant ‘Notice’ posted on the UIU Notice Boards and Website. It is of note that as per UGC directive, students would be required to earn a minimum GPA of 2.5 in a particular trimester for being eligible to get 100% Tuition Fee Waiver in the following trimester. Besides, a minimum of 9 (nine) credits for undergraduate programs and 6 (six) credits for graduate programs shall have to be registered in a particular trimester to avail the 100% Tuition Fee Waiver under Freedom Fighters’ Children Quota.
- Course Waiver/Credit Transfer: Students would require to take 2 (two) English Courses having a total of 9 credits (4.5 credits*2) in 1st two trimesters. The contact hour will be 6 (six) hours per week (1.5 hours x 4 classes) in each trimester. Students admitted in different undergraduate programs shall have the opportunity to appear in a Test for getting course waiver of (two) English Courses (Intensive English I & Intensive English II). Besides, students having a minimum score of 6.00 in all 4 (four) components (Reading, Writing, Listening & Speaking) of IELTS Test will be exempted from taking 2 (two) English Courses. During the 1st & 2nd Trimester, students with 7.5 credits of course registration will qualify for scholarship for the following trimester.
Students getting admission to an academic program at both undergraduate and graduate level transferring their courses from other universities whose grade of a particular course is ‘B’ or above and the course is equivalent to a UIU course may apply for course waiver. Its acceptability will, however, depend on the decision of the concerned program authorities. Applications for course waiver/credit transfer have to be produced before Course Advisor(s) during submission of ‘Course Advising Request Form’ in the 1st Trimester. All supporting documents must be submitted before completion of 1st Trimester.
Besides, transferred students may take the advantage of “Course Retake” to improve their grades obtained from their previous institutions. The fees for “Retake” will be the same as given in ‘Clause 6’.
|Wearing ID Cards have been made mandatory for all UIU students for entering into the UIU Campuses. UIU students willing to enter the UIU Campuses without ID Cards will be charged a fine of Tk. 200/- (for each entry) payable at the UIU Finance & Accounts Dept.
UIU authorities earnestly expect from all UIU students that they will wear decent dresses consistent with our culture on the UIU Campuses.
For more details, you may contact the concerned Program/Registrar’s Office.
Prof. A.S.M. Salahuddin